Caramel apple fondue bites are a fun treat for kids both young and…wise! If you’re wondering what to serve as a dessert for your upcoming party then look no further! Dip these fun morsels in caramel, and again in your favorite topping. Rainbow sprinkles, chopped almonds, and mini m&ms are some fun options you can dunk your bites into. Kids will love the mini sized apples, and parents will love that it’s a treat made with fruit (even if the fruit is dipped in candy).
Because my eldest daughter’s birthday is in October, we usually have a Halloween themed party. What food says Halloween more than caramel apples? These fun caramel apple bites allow the kids to enjoy a variety of toppings and are much easier to bite into than the traditional caramel apple.
There are so many things to dip in caramel! I’ve used mini chocolate chips, rainbow sprinkles, chopped almonds, and mini m&ms. The possibilities are endless! Use your favorite Halloween candy or a variety of nuts to put your own touch on these caramel apple bites.
It’s funny how certain foods bring back special memories. I will always remember each year when my family and I visited our local Halloween festival. We would walk through the haunted house wearing our glow necklaces, and afterwards eat a gigantic caramel apple, sticky enough to rip out your fillings. It was awesome!
These mini caramel apple bites are sweet and sticky, but not sticky enough to rip out your fillings. (You’re welcome!) Homemade caramel sauce is used to dip the apple bites, and always tastes amazing! Of course if you’re pressed for time, store bought caramel sauce will work as well. However, my 4 ingredient brown sugar caramel is so simple to make, and can be whipped up in less than 10 minutes!
Table of Contents:
4 Ingredient Brown Sugar Caramel:
- Brown Sugar – I love using brown sugar in lieu of regular sugar for one reason…it’s harder for me to burn it. Adding a touch of water to the brown sugar allows it to melt much more quickly and it also prevents it from burning easily.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – This isn’t a diet food that’s for sure! But, we deserve a treat every now and then, right?
- Butter – I use salted butter, but unsalted would work just as well.
- Salt – A pinch of salt balances out the sweetness.
- Water – Okay technically there are 5 ingredients, but hopefully we all have water in our home. As I mentioned earlier, a touch of water can keep the brown sugar from burning. A little goes a long way, as I only use 3 tablespoons.
Caramel Apple Fondue Bites:
- Granny Smith Apples – One Granny Smith Apple can be cut into 16 apple bites. 5 apples will give you 80 bites! As you can see, this is a budget friendly dessert that would be a great option for your next large party. The Granny Smith apple is traditionally served with the original caramel apple. Its tart taste helps to balance out the sticky sweet caramel. Another great thing about Granny Smith apples is they tend to oxidize less than other apples. I left my apples out on a table for half the day and they hardly browned at all. I know this trick has been shared by Grandmothers the world over already, but squeezing a tiny amount of lemon juice will also help your apples to oxidize less.
- Rainbow sprinkles – Colorful and fun, these little candies will bring out your inner child!
- Mini chocolate chips – The smaller version of chocolate chips will adhere better to your caramel apple fondue bites. If you don’t have the mini version on hand, you can chop up regular chocolate chips or use chocolate shavings instead.
- Mini m&ms – These little guys are another fun topping that will adhere easily to your apples.
- Chopped almonds – Because we like a little nutrition in our desserts, almonds are a great option! They add the perfect crunch and are readily available at the grocery store. Chopped almonds also break up the sweetness of the other candy toppings.
Things To Dip In Caramel:
- In lieu of caramel sauce try chocolate sauce, marshmallow cream, or Nutella. A healthier alternative would be peanut butter or another kind of nut butter!
- Other options for the toppings: Try chopped peanuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts, or hazelnuts. Nerds, chocolate sprinkles, round sprinkles, toasted coconut, or even your favorite kids cereal would be great alternatives to traditional rainbow sprinkles and mini m&ms!
- Don’t serve your caramel sauce warm. Allow your caramel sauce to cool to room temperature. Refrigerating the sauce is an even better option, and will keep it from running off your apple bites.
- Always stir your caramel sauce on the stove. If it sits on the heat too long, you may risk burning. Stir over medium to medium low heat for best results.
- You can cut your apples slices ahead of time to make food prep a snap! Cover your apples with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator. Squeezing a tiny bit of lemon juice also keeps the apples from oxidizing.
How To Make Caramel Apple Fondue Bites
Caramel Apple Fondue Bites
Caramel apple fondue bites make a fun snack for kids of all ages! Enjoy this fun and festive treat that is so simple to make, but is sure to wow your guests!
4 Ingredient Caramel Sauce
Caramel Apples and Toppings
- In a sauce pan on medium heat combine water and brown sugar.
- Stir sugar and water mixture until it begins to gently bubble.
- Add butter and stir till butter melts. The mixture should still be gently bubbling. (Turn heat down if it begins to boil rapidly).
- Once butter is completely melted, add heavy whipping cream and stir till combined.
- Add salt and stir till combined.
- Turn off heat and pour into a heat-proof container. Allow mixture to be cool to the touch before serving.
- Cut up a Granny Smith apple into 8 slices. Cut each of those 8 slices in half. (You will end up with 16 apple bites).
- Add a toothpick to each apple slice and assemble on a platter.
- Pour caramel sauce into a bowl or veggie dip server.
- Pour toppings into a bowl or veggie server with the caramel sauce.
- Dip and enjoy!
4 Ingredient Caramel Sauce :
Caramel Apple Fondue Bites:
- For best results, serve caramel sauce straight out of the fridge.
A Fun And Easy Treat!
I’m so excited for you to try this fun and simple recipe! Comment below and share your favorite caramel apple topping!