A spiced ginger cocktail is the perfect adult drink for Fall! An infused simple syrup with cinnamon and ginger is mixed with Captain Morgan White rum and fresh lime juice. Garnish with candied ginger, a cinnamon stick and a slice of lime, and you are ready to sit back and watch the leaves drop from the trees!
Table of Contents
A Tasty Fall Cocktail
I love this drink not only because of its refreshing Fall flavors, but it’s so simple to make! The secret to making this drink sing is the infused simple syrup. My simple syrup gets amped up with comforting Fall spices. A generous cup of freshly chopped ginger and three cinnamon sticks gives the spiced ginger cocktail its name. The spicy ginger, warming cinnamon, and tart lime give this refreshing drink layers of flavor that is oh so comforting on a crisp Autumn day!
Most of my favorite drinks have a touch of sweet and sour. It can be a dangerous combination because it goes down oh so easily! But the spiced ginger cocktail is definitely a crowd pleaser and is quite pretty to look at. You can also make it in large batches ahead of time which is great if you are hosting a big holiday party.
- Fresh Ginger – You need 1 cup of freshly chopped ginger. Peel off the ginger’s skin to unlock its flavor. I find a spoon is the best way to peel ginger skin. The chopped pieces don’t need to be perfect. As long as your ginger is peeled and yields approximately a cup, you are good to go!
- Cinnamon Sticks – I love the sweet warmth cinnamon adds to this recipe. I boil three cinnamon sticks in the infused simple syrup mixture, which is the perfect amount. Not too overwhelming, just a nice hint of cinnamon.
- Demerara Sugar – I use Demerara sugar in lieu of regular white sugar. Demerara sugar has a caramelized flavor which adds more depth to the drink. You can swap Demerara sugar for brown sugar if you don’t already have it on hand.
- Captain Morgan White Rum – I use Captain Morgan White Rum for its light taste and great price point. In a mixed drink like this, I don’t feel the need to break the bank on alcohol. Captain Morgan White Rum is distilled 5 times and has a very smooth light taste.
- Fresh Lime Juice – The juice of half a large lime is the perfect amount for one drink. If your limes are on the small size, use the juice of the entire lime.
- Candied Ginger – This ingredient isn’t necessary, but I love using it as a garnish. Seeing candied ginger allows your guests to know what ingredient is in their beverage!
Why You Will Love a Spiced Ginger Cocktail
- It is simple to make!
- You can prepare it ahead of time.
- Can be quadrupled in size to make for a large party!
- Stores for up to 6 months in the refrigerator!
- Minimal ingredients.
- Comforting Fall flavors!
How To Serve a Spiced Ginger Cocktail
- Dip your rim in the infused simple syrup, and then the Demerara sugar for a sweet rim.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks, fresh lime juice, and candied ginger.
- Make in large batches and store in the refrigerator ahead of time. Serve at your next holiday gathering!
- Squeeze your fresh lime juice once the rum and simple syrup mixture has been poured over ice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ginger is known as a warming spice or a Fall spice. I’ve gone into more detail as to what Fall spices are in my Autumn Spice Cupcake recipe, which you can find here. But basically, it is a warm aromatic spice that can be used in dried form or fresh. Combine ginger and other warming spices together such as clove, allspice, and cinnamon. All of these make a great combination! My infused simple syrup uses cinnamon and ginger, but you can also experiment with any of the other spices I listed as well. Just be sure to go easy on these spices as they are very strong and pungent.
Captain Morgan White Rum makes for a great ingredient in many cocktails. I love the price point and its mild taste which allows the simple syrup to be the star of the show. Captain Morgan White Rum is great in drinks such as: rum and coke, mixed with lemon lime soda, mules, sours, coladas, daiquiris, and one of my personal favorites, the mojito! It really is an essential liquor to have in your home bar as it is so versatile!
Simply put, yes. In my Spiced Ginger Cocktail recipe, there are 2 fluid ounces of Captain Morgan White rum. 2 fluid ounces of white rum contains 128 calories. A cocktail containing white rum is definitely a treat and has as many calories as a cupcake, so I like to think of this drink as liquid dessert.
Rum is made of cane molasses or sugarcane juice. All alcohol that has gone through a distillation process comes out clear, which means white rum is distilled and then bottled. Dark rums have been aged to get their darker color, but some dark rums just have color added to them.
The white rum contains 40 percent alcohol by volume, so I like to look at this drink as a dessert. It definitely has enough alcohol to warm you from the inside out on a crisp Fall evening!
If you haven’t tried candied ginger yet, you are missing out! It’s ginger that has been boiled down in a mixture of sugar and water. The process is fairly simple but long and there are many great recipes online on how to make homemade crystallized ginger if you’re interested. However, if you’re like me and are pressed for time, you can purchase candied ginger at your local grocery store. I love having it on hand at home for upset tummies, nausea, and just to snack on. It is wonderful chopped up in baked goods or as a garnish for many various drinks. You can even set it on the side of your teacup and dunk it in ginger tea!
Fresh lime juice will last up to 24 hours! Often citrus juices are used to squeeze over other fruits that tend to oxidize quickly. They help to slow down the oxidation process, preventing the fruit from getting brown and discolored quickly. I like to cut and serve the lime juice once the drink has already been prepared. It will be at its peak freshness and is a nice way to show your guests their drink has been freshly made.
Absolutely! You can prepare the rum and simple syrup earlier and store it in the fridge. Together, these ingredients will last up to 6 months in the refrigerator! Simple syrup is actually used as a preservative in many jams and jellies. Once you pour the rum and syrup mixture in a glass, simply squeeze your fresh lime juice on top and voila! You are ready to serve! This drink is great to make in large batches as well in order to serve your next holiday gathering.
How To Make a Spiced Ginger Cocktail
Spiced Ginger Cocktail
- 1 cup Demarara sugar
- 1 cup freshly grated ginger
- 4 limes
- 1 cup Captain Morgan White Rum
- 2 cups water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Small handful candied ginger
For the Simple Syrup
- Peel and chop your ginger. Place into a pot.
- Into the pot of ginger add cinnamon sticks, water, and sugar.
- Simmer ingredients over medium-medium high heat just until water begins to boil rapidly and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Turn off heat. Cover sugar mixture and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Strain sugar mixture and place into a container. Chill in the refrigerator until completely cool. (Approximately 30 minutes).
To Make The Drink
- Dip your glass into the infused simple syrup, and again in the sugar. Add ice.
- Combine 1/4 cup of rum, 1/4 cup of infused simple syrup over ice.
- Squeeze juice of half a lime on your drink.
- Stir, garnish, and enjoy!
- Dip your glass in the simple syrup mixture and again in the Demerara sugar to get the sugary rim!
I hope you enjoyed my Ginger Spiced Cocktail! If you gave this recipe a try or have any questions, please comment down below.